Friday, March 2, 2012

February: Athena - Goddess of Wisdom

The plant is called "Medusa's Head." (Balboa Park, 7/09)
Everybody knows this Goddess, even those who aren't particularly pagan in their worldview. Usually pictured with Her animal totem, the owl, She is universally known for being wise...and She is tied to Her "dark" sister Medusa in the various iterations of Her story. (Hence the above pic.)

Athena's message, on the card that I drew: Be independent. Listen to the wisdom within yourself.

This month, it was about honoring, and sometimes surrendering, to this Wisdom within.
During my journey I have discovered that long-term planning is no longer something that is going to work for me. Time and again, I would make plans to be somewhere or to do something, only to have a last-minute diversion or detour arise, and I would be forced to scuttle my plans. Fortunately for my sanity, I've come to a place where I can move more freely in the New Reality, and the plans that I make now stick...most of the time.  ;-)
Now I'm being guided to focus closer to home, upon the day-to-day details of my life. The lesson repeats: I think I have an idea of what I want to do, and my plans are forced to shift shape. I am forced to abandon the script that I've written for my life and seem to have little choice but to respond moment to moment, using intuition instead of intellect to make my way through the flow of life. Often times, this has meant certain aspects of my life, certain plans I would execute, have been forced to abide until the opportunity arises organically, instead of by my design.

It has been about listening to my Inner Wisdom: the wisdom within my body - now I move, now I rest. These days, I've been resting more than moving, with all of the heavy-duty shapeshifting I've been involved in. It's also been about listening to my spirit - the dreams I've been having that confirm my choice to return to North Carolina once more, the impulses to expand and play with others alternating with impulses to contract and seek solitude. More and more, I find that my rational mind is no longer my exclusive guide through life, and that my intuitive mind is taking point and showing the way. Athena acknowledges the presence of Medusa and it is revealed that they are two sides of the same coin of Wisdom.
For someone who has used her rational mind as a guide for much of her (adult) life, this "changing of the guard" has been disconcerting at times, but I've been walking the Path of Spirit long enough that I'm used to it. Mostly. ;-)

Sometimes I say things and act in ways that make others scratch their heads. Other times, it's the perceived lack of speaking or action that creates confusion. Whatever; other's opinions don't bother me anymore. The rhythm of my life is changing, and while there may be a mis-step or two as I adjust to the new beat, I will walk in complete confidence once more, soon enough. A-ho. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment