Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Being Helpful

There's one place I want to work on this, and one place where I'm just fine where I am...and they both have to do with my workplace.

Where I want to work on this is when I'm talking to someone on the phone, and I'm sympathizing with the caller. I want to help them reach the person they want to speak to right away!
Problem with that - we're answering the phones for our clients. They all have very explicit directions with who they want to talk to, and when they want to talk to them. Many don't want to be bothered with anything except emergencies after hours. This, of course, can lead to discrepancies...what I call an "emergency" might not be what a client would call an "emergency."
My point is: I need to sound a little less helpful on the phone, and work within the guidelines that the clients have provided to us. When it comes down to it, though, I'd rather be "too" helpful than not helpful enough - there are plenty of operators who just answer the calls, and let them sit there, doing nothing with them. Follow-up, people! ;-)

Where I'm just fine in my capacity to be helpful is tied to my Work:
One of my co-workers called recently because I would "be the only one who would understand this, and not think I'm going crazy." She had a visitation the other night from a canine spirit. It doesn't fit in with any dog she'd had, or any dog her partner had owned. I advised her to go ahead and ask the dog why it was there - couldn't hurt, now, could it?
Another reason, revealed unto me, as to why I've returned...to help soothe startled nerves and provide the one explanation that might be way outside the box, but fits to a tee. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment